Monday, September 20, 2010

French Inspired Blue Nightstand

I bought this old nightstand  'spur of the moment ' since it was so solid and sturdy.  It looked very sad in the current condition, but there really wasn't anything structurally wrong with it.  So, into my van it went. 


On one of our rare sunny days in the Seattle area, I hauled it out to the patio, set it up on a table and started cleaning it.  That helped immediately to see the details around the base and drawer better.  I checked it all over, sanded to smooth out any rough areas and primered it well. 






I painted on 3 coats of this pretty french blue color (oops paint) in a semi gloss finish.  It went on very nice and smooth and I liked it immediately but it seemed a bit plain.  It came in the house and sat for a few weeks while I decided what to do with it.  Should I put a knob on it?  An embellishment of some kind?  Finally, it hit me!  Wallpaper! 



I found a couple of brand new rolls of wallpaper border (prepasted) at Goodwill for 99 cents each.  It looked like they would fit and just in case, one was narrower than the other so surely that one would fit.  Well, neither one did!  I tried various combinations of trimming it down and I was originally going to cover the entire front.  I had a beach theme paper with two adirondack chairs, some sandpipers and an ocean.  This one looked good and was the smaller so I had to trim off less of it, but it was so specific I thought it may be hard to incorporate into an existing decor.  The other one was a more sublte floral hydrangas with a french type border on each end.  I tried just the middle floral section, and then each of the borders, and in various positions on the drawer.

Here is what I chose. 












What do you think?

Don't forget to enter the September giveaway!  There are only a couple of entries so far so great odds of winning!  Go here to enter

I am linking up at
The DIY Project Parade - http://thediyshowoff.blogspot.com/
Marketplace Monday - Finding Fabulous http://decormamma.blogspot.com/
The Power of Paint - Domestically Speaking http://www.domestically-speaking.com/


10 comments:

Ashley said...

That looks great! Much better. The little wallpaper detail is just what it needed.

Danielle Goates said...

I love that color!

deb said...

Just gorgeous!!!
The wallpaper finsishes it beautfifully
*hugs*deb

Tracie said...

Thanks guys! I am so glad you guys like it. I haven't had any comments on the Facebook page and I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought it looked good~

Anonymous said...

I love the paint color!! What is the name of it?

Tracie said...

I don't know the name of the color because it was an oops paint that I picked up. I have several in my stash. I sometimes mix colors too. It is a nice grey blue. Thanks for your comments!

cindy said...

Stunning....that design from the wallpaper is perfect. Thanks for sharing it at my B & B linky party!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

very nice. looks very delicate with the addition of the wallpaper.
lauren

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails