Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tacky to Terrific Cabinet Makeover

One Friday, as I was out yard sailing, I came across this cabinet.  It had been in the family cabin for as long as anyone could remember.  It was solid wood, had nice two toned color detailing and showed potential. 



I was surprised to open it and discover that it did not have a back on it!  For some reason, someone had put a couple of metal brace pieces in an X across the back. 



What I thought was a drawer, turned out to be a false drawer.  I was intrigued.  No one knew what this was or had been.  It was free standing and had a couple of thin shelves inside.  At one time there had been 3 shelves but the shelf and one of the supports for it was missing.  It sorta looked like a old phonograph cabinet to me.  I just thought it was so unique that it had to come home with me. 



Originally, I thought I could redo it to the orginal finish but I quickly realized that I did not have the proper tools to for the job (finishing sander for one).  I decided I would just be creative and make it into something completely different and not worry about the wood (though I did hate to cover that!). 

The first step was to sand it down and rough up the varnished parts a bit.  Then to sand it by hand for a softer finish.   I took off the one side support for the missing shelf, used wood putty to fill a couple of holes on the top, removed the back metal braces, the hardward and the door.  Kilz primer was next.





I did this outside on a sunny day and allowed the primer to dry in the sun and put on a second coat.   Then I sanded it again with finishing sandpaper.  Next came the beautiful soft pink semi gloss Oops paint that I got at Home Depot.  Several coats of pink with sanding in between.  Then the wood embellishment (also from home depot) was glued on with Gorilla Glue after first being primered.  I have learned that you must primer bare wood before painting or it takes forever to accept the paint!  A couple of coats of paint on the embellishment, some sanding to distress the piece, and some nice glass rose handles.  Oh yes, and a back!  I got my husband to do this part!  I am not the best at measuring, cutting and getting something straight! 














This may be my favorite project so far!

Linking to Cottage Instincts Make it for Monday  http://cottageinstincts.blogspot.com/
And The DIY Showoff project parade http://thediyshowoff.blogspot.com/

UPDATE:  This has sold!

8 comments:

Rebecca @ Throw Open the Windows said...

Nice job!! Those are beautiful glass rose handles. Thank you for sharing this! Rebecca

Sue said...

nice find and goos work.
I have a question for you...
DoesGorilla glue dey glear or is it like apoxy and has a color to it?

Love it Sue

Tracie said...

Thanks for your comments! Sue, Gorilla glue comes in several different types which I didn't know when I went to home depot. But I used the wood glue. It looks white like Elmer's glue but dries clear!

Danielle G. said...

Before and afters are my favorite!!! Great job!

::cottage instincts:: said...

Great cabinet re-do! Love the knob...I have some gorilla glue projects waiting in the wings myself :)

So glad you could Mi4M!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What an awesome makeover you did on this OLD piece...she now looks sooooo PRETTY!

Blessings,
Linda

Happy Nester said...

It looks wonderful. Great job.
Monica

tracielozano@comcast.net said...

This piece has sold! It is going to be in a little girls room in Arizona!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails